Monday, October 15, 2012

Elizabeth - Isaac Russell

If you've never heard of Isaac Russell, you should. So let me formally introduce him to you now, with perhaps his most aesthetically pleasing song to date - Elizabeth.  If anyone knows the full Russell family story, then you know the hardships they endured.  In fact, it is an unfortunate tribulation that many families experience. I, for one, have experienced it first hand, which is why this song has such a profound effect on me every time I listen to it. It's a story of loss, and the battles one undergoes when someone they love is diagnosed with cancer.

Isaac's mother died of breast cancer when he was only 12 years old.  Like any death, the family took it hard. Isaac turned to writing as an outlet, and at the age of only 15, produced his first full-length album under the North Palette Record label.

The song "Elizabeth" discusses the families final trip as a family before his mother died, a trip to the beach.  I'll admit, this song hits directly at home with me.  My grandmother (one of, if not, the closest person in my life) died when I was 11 of cancer.  The lyrics "they gave you pills, that made you swell...lost the hair on your head, self-image shot to hell" gives me shivers every time.

Please, take the time to listen to this song, especially if you have lost someone close to you.  Its a great song for reflection. Below is Isaac performing the song:



1 comment:

  1. I want to know where you find all these amazing songs.

    ReplyDelete